PE & Sports Provision
We have a specialist PE teacher who develops the children's skills in each area of sport and gives them opportunities to develop their skills. Each half term they develop a particular sport eg hockey and are taught skills to build up to playing matches. We are involved in lots of tournaments with the Lune Valley Cluster and the children enjoy participating these. We direct children with talents in particular sports to clubs outside school.
Children in KS2 attend swimming lessons at a local pool in the summer term.
Last year ( 2022) 100% of the children met the national curriculum requirements relating to swimming and water safety.
In the academic year 2021-2022, following the additional PE and Sports funding provided by the government and allocated to Tatham Fells Primary School, we saw the following:
- improved involvement of all children in physical activity at break, lunchtime and after school
- an improvement in playground behaviour and engagement following a skipping workshop and training for staff in playground games.
- enhanced involvement in sports clubs at lunchtime with a sports clubs.
- increase in children taking up sports outside of school due to identification of talent and encouragement of the teacher from high quality lessons.
- awarded bronze sports award for sporting involvement
- All pupils in Y1-6 engaged in at least 1 inter schools sports competition
- opportunities for different sports children wouldn't necessarily experience-- climbing wall sessions at Ingleton for Y6
We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that developments are sustainable by providing professional development opportunities for all teachers and we have used the funding to further develop the leadership of our subject leader
Further to our self evaluation of PE and Sport provision during the academic year 2021-2022, priorities for improvement have been identified for 2022-2023.
- To give children a wide range of opportunities to try sports not available to them in the local area.
- To identify children with potential in particular sports and provide them with contacts to develop their talents.
- To give all children opportunities to engage in sport daily.
- to develop all pupils mental health and wellbeing through physical activity
- To ensure high quality and easily accessible playground resources are available to the children.
- To encourage confidence, leadership and resilience in our pupils .
- Broaden our network to be part of a schools sports partnership providing more sporting events for all pupils
In order to implement these priorities we will fund:
- High quality sports instruction to develop pupils and model good practise for staff
- playground equipment and the accessible storage facility to house it.
- Free after school/ lunchtime sports club open to all.
- targetted annual reporting to parents and directing children to sports clubs locally according to their talents.
- Sports leadership training for Y5/6 pupils.
- wellbeing support programme for all pupils eg , yoga for kids
- Join school sports partnership and participate in a wide range of sporting opportunity.