PE & Sports Provision
In the academic year 2019-2020, following the additional PE and Sports funding provided by the government and allocated to Tatham Fells CE (VC) Primary School, we saw the following:
- a significant increase in the engagement of pupils during lessons especially those not previously enjoying sports.
- an improvement in playground behaviour and engagement following a skipping workshop and training for staff in playground games.
- enhanced involvement in sports clubs at lunchtime with a basketball and netball club.
- increase in children taking up sports outside of school due to identification of talent and encouragement of the teacher from high quality lessons.
- in addition to the running track being used for running it also provides freedom for older pupils to walk and talk with their friends.
We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that developments are sustainable by providing professional development opportunities for all teachers and we have used the funding to further develop the leadership of our subject leader
Further to our self evaluation of PE and Sport provision during the academic year 2019-2020, priorities for improvement have been identified for 2020-2021.
- To give children a wide range of opportunities to try sports not available to them in the local area.
- To identify children with potential in particular sports and provide them with contacts to develop their talents.
- To give all children opportunities to engage in sport daily.
- To develop all pupils mental health and wellbeing through physical activity
- To ensure high quality and easily accessible playground resources are available to the children.
- To encourage confidence, leadership and resilience in our pupils.
In order to implement these priorities we will fund:
- High quality sports instruction to develop pupils and model good practise for staff
- playground equipment and the accessible storage facility to house it.
- after school/ lunchtime sports club open to all.
- targetted annual reporting to parents and directing children to sports clubs locally according to their talents.
- Sports leadership training for Y5/6 pupils.
- wellbeing support programme for all pupils eg relax kids, yoga for kids
- partial funding of a new facility to enable a wellbeing support programme to be implemented.
All pupils leaving Y6 in 2020 fully met and exceeded the swimming requirements.